Re: Speeding up a query. - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Anthony Presley
Subject Re: Speeding up a query.
Date
List pgsql-performance
On the DB side of things, you will want to make sure that your caching
as much as possible - putting a front-end like memcached could help.  I
assume you have indexes on the appropriate tables?  What does the
EXPLAIN ANALYZE on that query look like?

Not necessarily a "postgres" solution, but I'd think this type of
solution would work really, really well inside of say a a mixed integer
or integer solver ... something like glpk or cbc.  You'd need to
reformulate the problem, but we've built applications using these tools
which can crunch through multiple billions of combinations in under 1 or
2 seconds.

(Of course, you still need to store the results, and feed the input,
using a database of some kind).

--
Anthony Presley