Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Patch: add timing of buffer I/O requests
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Tue, Apr 10, 2012 at 1:44 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> Huh?  I understood what you said upthread to be that we have two ways
>> in existing releases (anything unreleased has zero standing in this
>> discussion): float8 sec in pg_stat_statements.total_time, and
>> int8 msec everywhere else.  Did I miss something?

> We also have int8 usec floating around.  But even if we didn't, float8
> msec would be a new one, regardless of whether it would be third or
> fourth...

It would still be the second one, because it would replace the only use
of float8 sec, no?  And more to the point, it converges us on msec being
the only exposed unit.

The business about underlying microseconds is maybe not so good, but
I don't think we want to touch that right now.  In the long run
I think it would make sense to converge on float8 msec as being the
standard for exposed timing values, because that is readily adaptable to
the underlying data having nsec or even better precision.