Re: UNICODE-encoded database does not accept umlaut-characters (solved) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brsa@gmx.at (Erwin Brandstetter)
Subject Re: UNICODE-encoded database does not accept umlaut-characters (solved)
Date
List pgsql-general
Erwin Brandstetter (myself) wrote in message
> First, thanx for the hint! Tried it, but no success. Here is what I did:
(...)

After facing various problems with my installation of postgresql 7.4 I
decided to do a complete re-install (got strange errors when trying to
vacuum, for one).
Now, that finally everything is up and running again, I tried it again
the way Tom has pointed out to me, and .. voilá: it works. Goes off
without a hitch.

One hint, if u should be in a similar situation: Don't forget to set
client_encoding = Latin1 (or whatever is appropriate) for any client
client that does not make use of UNICODE.

Thanks once more to Tom & regards!
Erwin Brandstetter