Re: [GENERAL] Would you add a --dry-run to pg_restore? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Would you add a --dry-run to pg_restore?
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Would you add a --dry-run to pg_restore?  (Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
Edmundo Robles <edmundo@sw-argos.com> writes:
> I mean,  to   verify the integrity of backup  i do:
> gunzip -c backup_yesterday.gz | pg_restore  -d my_database  && echo
> "backup_yesterday is OK"

> but my_database's size, uncompresed,  is too big  more than 15G  and
> sometimes  i  have  no space  to restore it, so always i must declutter my
>  disk first.

> Will be great to have a dry  run option, because   the time  to verify
>  reduces a lot and  will save space on disk, because just  execute  with no
> write to disk.

What do you imagine a dry run option would do?

If you just want to see if the file contains obvious corruption,
you could do

    pg_restore file >/dev/null

and see if it prints any complaints on stderr.  If you want to have
confidence that the file would actually restore (and that there aren't
e.g. unique-index violations or foreign-key violations in the data),
I could imagine a mode where pg_restore wraps its output in "begin" and
"rollback".  But that's not going to save any disk space, or time,
compared to doing a normal restore into a scratch database.

I can't think of any intermediate levels of verification that wouldn't
involve a huge amount of work to implement ... and they'd be unlikely
to catch interesting problems in practice.  For instance, I doubt that
syntax-checking but not executing the SQL coming out of pg_restore would
be worth the trouble.  If an archive is corrupt enough that it contains
bad SQL, it probably has problems that pg_restore would notice anyway.
Most of the restore failures that we hear about in practice would not be
detectable without actually executing the commands, because they involve
problems like issuing commands in the wrong order.

            regards, tom lane