Re: Problem on PG7.2.2 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Problem on PG7.2.2
Date
Re: Problem on PG7.2.2  (Roberto Fichera <kernel@tekno-soft.it>)
List pgsql-hackers
Roberto Fichera <kernel@tekno-soft.it> writes:
> At 10.40 23/09/02 -0400, you wrote:
>> I think you've got *serious* hardware problems.  Hard to tell if it's
>> disk or memory, but get out those diagnostic programs now ...

> database=# DROP TABLE TS;
> ERROR:  cannot find attribute 1 of relation ts_pkey
> database=# DROP INDEX TS_PKEY;
> ERROR:  cannot find attribute 1 of relation ts_pkey

Now you've got corrupted system indexes (IIRC this is a symptom of
problems in one of the indexes for pg_attribute).

You might be able to recover from this using a REINDEX DATABASE
operation (read the man page carefully, it's a bit tricky), but
I am convinced that you've got hardware problems.  I would suggest
that you first shut down the database and then find and fix your
hardware problem --- otherwise, things will just get worse and worse.
After you have a stable platform again, you can try to restore
consistency to the database.