Re: strict version of version_stamp.pl - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: strict version of version_stamp.pl
Date
Re: strict version of version_stamp.pl  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 01:18 +0300, Peter Eisentraut wrote:
> On Saturday 09 May 2009 00:50:28 Tom Lane wrote:
> > "Joshua D. Drake" <jd@commandprompt.com> writes:
> > > Yes I apologize for that. Git reacted differently than I expected to a
> > > "git diff". I have since reposted a proper patch.
> >
> > mmm ... I've recently been forced into using git for another project,
> > and I find myself mystified as to why anyone would want to use it.
> > Seems like baroqueness and unexpected behaviors are all over the thing.
>
> Obviously, an unchecked cvs diff would have produced the same garbage.  Any
> other problems?

There are a number of conceptual differences. For example as a majority
svn user, svn diff does not act the way git diff does. In that svn diff
will only give me the difference within the current working directory.
It will not go to the beginning of the tree and give me a diff.

Perhaps a more difficult problem is that there is no easy way to update
a single file within a git repo. In cvs or svn, if I blow something up
on a particular file and I just want to take a fresh look, I just rm;svn
update.

Those are two things I can think of from my own working perspective that
have been an adjustment.

I would be curious to Tom's differences as well.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -