Re: pg_upgrade fails to detect unsupported arrays and ranges - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Daniel Gustafsson
Subject Re: pg_upgrade fails to detect unsupported arrays and ranges
Date
Re: pg_upgrade fails to detect unsupported arrays and ranges  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
> On 10 Nov 2019, at 20:07, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:

> 0001 refactors the code in question
> so that we have only one copy not three-and-growing.  The only
> difference between the three copies was that one case didn't bother
> to search indexes, but I judged that that wasn't an optimization we
> need to preserve.

A big +1 on this refactoring.

> (Note: this patch is shown with --ignore-space-change
> to make it more reviewable, but I did re-pgindent the code.)  Then
> 0002 actually adds the array and range cases.

Was the source pgindented, but not committed, before generating the patches?  I
fail to apply them on master (or REL_12_STABLE) on what seems to be only
whitespace changes.

> Although this is a really straightforward patch and I've tested it
> against appropriate old versions (9.1 and 9.2), I'm very hesitant
> to shove it in so soon before a release wrap.  Should I do that, or
> let it wait till after the wrap?

Having read the patch I agree that it's trivial enough that I wouldn't be
worried to let it slip through.  However, given that we've lacked the check for
a few releases, is it worth rushing with the potential for a last-minute
"oh-shit"?

> +        /* arrays over any type selected so far */
> +                          "            SELECT t.oid FROM pg_catalog.pg_type t, x WHERE typelem = x.oid AND typtype =
'b'"

No need to check typlen?

cheers ./daniel