Re: [DOCS] Document PUBLIC grants on PUBLIC schema - Mailing list pgsql-docs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [DOCS] Document PUBLIC grants on PUBLIC schema
Date
List pgsql-docs
buck@dbrhino.com writes:
> The GRANT documentation, regarding the PUBLIC role, says:

> > No privileges are granted to PUBLIC by default on tables, columns, schemas
> or tablespaces.

> But the PUBLIC role does receive USAGE and CREATE privileges on the PUBLIC
> schema, correct? I think the documentation should point this out.

The GRANT page is meant to explain what happens when you create new
objects.  It does not attempt to explain the privileges attached to every
predefined object, and that seems like a rather impractical thing to do
there.  We tend to document nondefault privileges for built-in objects
where those objects are described.  In the case of the public schema,
it's described here:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PUBLIC

but since privileges for schemas haven't been mentioned at that point,
the issue is taken up a little further down:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/ddl-schemas.html#DDL-SCHEMAS-PRIV