Re: Postgresql likes Tuesday... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Postgresql likes Tuesday...
Date
Re: Postgresql likes Tuesday...  ("Clark C. Evans" <cce@clarkevans.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hannu Krosing <hannu@tm.ee> writes:
> On Tue, 2002-10-01 at 03:31, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I notice that 2001-12-31 is considered part of the first week of 2002,
>> which is also pretty surprising:

> There are at least 3 different ways to start week numbering:
> I suspect it depends on locale which should be used.

Perhaps.  But I think there are two distinct issues here.  One is
whether EXTRACT(week) is assigning reasonable week numbers to dates;
this depends on your convention for which day is the first of a week
as well as your convention for the first week of a year (both possibly
should depend on locale as Hannu suggests).  The other issue is what
to_date(...,'WWYYYY') should do to produce a date representing a week
number.  Shouldn't it always produce the first date of that week?
If not, what other conventions make sense?