Re: [HACKERS] Issues with the latest 6.5 source - Mailing list pgsql-interfaces

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: [HACKERS] Issues with the latest 6.5 source
Date
List pgsql-interfaces
Michael J Davis <michael.j.davis@tvguide.com> writes:
> 1)    The \g option in pgsql is failing.

Fixed.  I had managed to break the empty-query response protocol on
Sunday --- odd that none of the regression tests detected this.  Sigh.

> 2)    My Access97 application using ODBC can't connect to the database.

I now have a strong suspicion that this is caused by the same goof.
ODBC might issue an empty query during startup.  (That used to be a
necessary part of the startup protocol; it isn't anymore, but ODBC
very possibly hasn't been changed.)

If you don't have CVS access and don't want to wait for tonight's
snapshot, here is the patch:

*** src/backend/tcop/dest.c~    Wed Apr 28 18:15:07 1999
--- src/backend/tcop/dest.c    Wed Apr 28 18:15:45 1999
*** 336,342 ****              *        tell the fe that we saw an empty query string              * ----------------
         */

!             pq_putbytes("I", 1);             break;          case Local:
--- 336,342 ----              *        tell the fe that we saw an empty query string              * ----------------
         */

!             pq_putbytes("I", 2); /* note we send I and \0 */             break;          case Local:

Let us know if that helps...
        regards, tom lane