Re: Passing initially_valid values instead of !skip_validation to StoreRelCheck() in AddRelationNewConstraints() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From amul sul
Subject Re: Passing initially_valid values instead of !skip_validation to StoreRelCheck() in AddRelationNewConstraints()
Date
In response to Re: Passing initially_valid values instead of !skip_validation to StoreRelCheck() in AddRelationNewConstraints()  (Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
Re: Passing initially_valid values instead of !skip_validation to StoreRelCheck() in AddRelationNewConstraints()  (Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi Amit,

Thanks for prompt response.

>On Thursday, 3 December 2015 4:36 PM, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8@lab.ntt.co.jp> wrote:
>Especially from a readability standpoint, I think using skip_validation may be more apt.
>Why - the corresponding parameter of StoreRelCheck() dictates what's stored in pg_constraint.convalidated.

Why not? won't initially_valid flag serve same purpose ?

> So, if skip_validation is 'true' because user specified the constraint NOT VALID,
> StoreRelCheck() will store the constraint with convalidated as 'false'

I guess thats was added before initially_valid flag. As I said, in normal case gram.y take care of skip_validation &
initially_validvalues, if one is 'true' other will be 'false'.

>The user will have to separately validate the constraint by issuing a ALTER TABLE VALIDATE CONSTRAINT
>command at a time of their choosing.

This could be time consuming operation for big table, If I am pretty much sure that my constraint will be valid, simply
Icould set both flag(initially_valid & skip_validation) to true.

Regards,
Amul Sul