pg_dump.... pg_restore...how long does it take? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From rafikoko
Subject pg_dump.... pg_restore...how long does it take?
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,
I've dumped my database into archive by using following command:
.\pg_dump -U tad -ci -F t -f openbravo.tar openbravo.
Everything seemed to be all right and the whole process was very fast.
Afterwards I've got tar file which size is about 4MB.
I've got also the following message after dumping:
pg_dump: [tar archiver] actual file length (4104361) does not match expected
(4104361)
which in fact does not make sense for me.

Then I've copied tar archive to another computer to restore the database
using following command:
pg_restore -d openbravo ..\openbravo.tar
The process started about 18hours ago and still runs. I've checked task
manager and noticed that pg_restore still uses 50% of CPU.

The question is:
Have I done everything correctly? Since the tar archive has only 4MB and was
generated in few second, I wonder why restoring takes so long? How long it
can take? Does anybody have such an experience?

Looking forward any support.

BR,
Rafal