Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Has anybody think about changing BLCKSZ to an option of initdb?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com> writes:
> > So has anyone here done any experiments with live systems with different block
> > sizes? What were your experiences?
>
> That should really have been the *first* question.  We are not going to
> make this a tunable unless there is some pretty strong evidence that
> it's worth twiddling.  Aside from the implementation costs of making
> it variable, there is the oft repeated refrain that Postgres has too
> many configuration knobs already.

Well that "too many knobs" argument doesn't apply to this scenario etc.
Anyone who is making use of these need those knobs. It is the other 98%
that really just need to crank up half a dozen parameters and PostgreSQL
is blazing fast for them that make that argument (which is why we should
rip everything out of the postgresql.conf).

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL - XMPP: jdrake@jabber.postgresql.org  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 -
http://www.commandprompt.com/ The PostgreSQL Company, serving since 1997