Re: text column indexing in UTF-8 database - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: text column indexing in UTF-8 database
Date
List pgsql-general
> There is actually some history here; the former distinction in the
> equality operators arose from exactly your concern.  But after we
> put in the second-pass check to insist on bitwise equality, we
> realized that the equality operators really were equivalent.

Interesting. It's certainly convenient when "=" means "values are
exactly the same" ;)

One thing that still doesn't make sense to me is that texteq() is
bitwise-equality even in 8.3.

It sounds like Reece Hart can avoid the extra index by making a new
opclass that's like text_pattern_ops except "~=~" should be named "=".

Regards,
    Jeff Davis