Re: Mailing list (lack of) spam filtering - Mailing list pgsql-www

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Mailing list (lack of) spam filtering
Date
List pgsql-www
On Thu, 2009-01-22 at 13:20 -0300, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Greg Sabino Mullane wrote:
>
> > Here's another example of recent spam to the -bugs list.
> > If we need help setting up spamassassin, please let me
> > know. I can't imagine why we aren't catching items like this:
> >
> > http://rafb.net/p/8UQ9Oy96.html
>
> I agree.  Our current situation is embarrasing.

How so? It seems to me that on the embarrassing meter this is about
-2000 in comparison to the fact that we still don't have in place
upgrades ;)

> Please Marc don't ask for specific headers.  The problem is not specific
> emails.  The problem is that our setup in general is crap.  It's not
> enough to just train Maia for a bunch of additional emails.

This email makes me wonder what our expectations really are. I am not
saying that our setup isn't crap. I actually don't have an opinion on
that.

What is an acceptable amount of spam delivery? How does that correlate
with acceptable amounts of false positives? Do the lists moderators get
more spam on the lists than on the their public emails? I am an announce
moderator and I don't get that much spam on that list.

Does anyone have any potential solutions? We could use spamhaus but we
would have to be very careful because of the international nature of the
project. We could add SORBS that might help a bit... thoughts?

Thoughts?

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--