Re: listen_addresses = '*' ok, specific address(es) no (.... and a thread hi-jack!) - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: listen_addresses = '*' ok, specific address(es) no (.... and a thread hi-jack!)
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Phillip Smith" <phillips@weatherbeeta.com.au> writes:
> <HIJACK>
> I've just installed Postgres 8.1 on RedHat 7.1

Uh ... *why*?  I wouldn't use RH 7.1 today any more than I'd use PG 7.1 ...

> and I'm getting the error:
> "2006-06-16 14:49:00 NZST @ []LOG:  could not create IPv6 socket: Address
> family not supported by protocol"

It seems you've got libc code that supports IPv6 even though your kernel
does not (else PG would not have been told that an IPv6 address was a
possible translation of "localhost").  PG copes with this but will issue
LOG messages complaining about it.  If you don't like the warnings, fix
your system so it's all on the same page about whether IPv6 is supported.
        regards, tom lane