Re: Recovery Test Framework - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Recovery Test Framework
Date
Re: Recovery Test Framework  ("Jaime Casanova" <jcasanov@systemguards.com.ec>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 16:48 +0000, Dave Page wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 12, 2009 at 4:37 PM, Joshua D. Drake <jd@commandprompt.com> wrote:
> > On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 11:18 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> >
> >> Basically I think we are up against the same type of project management
> >> decision we've had several times before: are we willing to slip the
> >> 8.4 release schedule for however long it will take for hot standby
> >> and the other replication-related features to be ready?
> >
> > I would certainly not like to see 8.4 slip.
>
> I would. PostgreSQL is not a commercial application which has to be
> released on schedule to satisfy shareholders - it's an Open Source
> project that aims to provide it's users with useful features.

The community are our shareholders.

>  We have
> two extremely useful features here (hot standby and sync replication)
> which together will make this a killer release for many people - we

And for others we already have a killer release.

> can delay a month or two as required to polish and get them ready for
> release, or decide we're willing to wait another 12 - 14 months for
> them to be available for end users.

Right. Except that isn't really the question at hand is it? The above is
just a potential result of the question at hand. The low level question
is, "do we feel comfortable from a technical (not a whiz bang) level
with the diligence that has been provided this code.

If we don't it should push to 8.5. These are "features" not core
requirements of the product. They can wait until another release if need
be. We already have a gargantuan list of whiz bang features in this
release.

IMO, the reasons to delay a release:

We broke autovacuum
MVCC is no longer MVCC
Our grammar looks like MySQL
Constraints no longer constrain

Not:

I want super duper feature.

> I'd much rather see them included than deferred (particularly hot
> standby, parts of which have been awaiting review for months now
> anyway, through no fault of Simons).

Well its really nobody's fault except the hacker that didn't step up to
do the work. I believe all hackers have already been working diligently.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

--
PostgreSQL  Consulting, Development, Support, Training  503-667-4564 - http://www.commandprompt.com/  The PostgreSQL