Re: Unexpected behavior from psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Unexpected behavior from psql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 17:13 -0600, Tim Hart wrote:
> Would it be worthwhile to specify this in the documentation? One of
> the sources of my confusion was the following statement:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-psql.html:
>
> \distvS
> "... to obtain a listing of all the matching objects..."
>
> I fully understand that 'foo' would need to be qualified when used in
> sql, pl/pgsql, etc.
>
> I understood the documentation to read that all tables, views, and
> sequences in the search path would be listed, not just those unobscured.

See the paragraph:

"A pattern that contains a dot (.) is interpreted as a schema name
pattern followed by an object name pattern. For example, \dt foo*.*bar*
displays all tables whose table name includes bar that are in schemas
whose schema name starts with foo. When no dot appears, then the pattern
matches only objects that are visible in the current schema search path.
Again, a dot within double quotes loses its special meaning and is
matched literally."

And:

"Whenever the pattern parameter is omitted completely, the \d commands
display all objects that are visible in the current schema search path —
this is equivalent to using the pattern *. To see all objects in the
database, use the pattern *.*. "

Perhaps it could be a little clearer in the short descriptions, do you
have a suggestion?

Regards,
    Jeff Davis