Re: Unexpected behavior from psql - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tim Hart
Subject Re: Unexpected behavior from psql
Date
List pgsql-general
On Jan 11, 2009, at 8:16 PM, Jeff Davis wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-01-11 at 17:13 -0600, Tim Hart wrote:
>> Would it be worthwhile to specify this in the documentation? One of
>> the sources of my confusion was the following statement:
>>
>> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/interactive/app-psql.html:
>>
>> \distvS
>> "... to obtain a listing of all the matching objects..."
>>
>> I fully understand that 'foo' would need to be qualified when used in
>> sql, pl/pgsql, etc.
>>
>> I understood the documentation to read that all tables, views, and
>> sequences in the search path would be listed, not just those
>> unobscured.
>>

> See the paragraph:
>
> "A pattern that contains a dot (.) is interpreted as a schema name
> pattern followed by an object name pattern. For example, \dt
> foo*.*bar*
> displays all tables whose table name includes bar that are in schemas
> whose schema name starts with foo. When no dot appears, then the
> pattern
> matches only objects that are visible in the current schema search
> path.
> Again, a dot within double quotes loses its special meaning and is
> matched literally."
>
> And:
>
> "Whenever the pattern parameter is omitted completely, the \d commands
> display all objects that are visible in the current schema search
> path —
> this is equivalent to using the pattern *. To see all objects in the
> database, use the pattern *.*. "
>
> Perhaps it could be a little clearer in the short descriptions, do you
> have a suggestion?
>
> Regards,
>     Jeff Davis

In hindsight for me, a simple note would have been sufficient.
Something along the lines of

"Note: Without an explicit pattern, \d lists objects according to
current scoping rules. For a full listing, use "*.*"

Just a thought. I consider myself better informed. Thanks for the info.

Tim