Re: Hot standby, slot ids and stuff - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Hot standby, slot ids and stuff
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 20:30 +0200, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:

> I've mentioned before that I don't like the slotid stuff. From an
> architectural point of view, we should try to keep the extra
> communication between primary and standby to a minimum, for the sake of
> robustness. The primary shouldn't have such a big role in keeping track
> of which xids it has already emitted in WAL records, which subxids have
> been marked, and so on.
>
> Since I've been whining about that for some time, I figured I have to
> put my money where my mouth is

Yes, you do, but I think not like this. Turning up with a patch and
saying "my way is better" but not actually saying what that way *is*
just confuses things.

If you want to do things a different way you need to say what you want
to do and what effects those changes will have. Are there tradeoffs? If
so what are they? ISTM easier to discuss them on list first than to
write a load of code and ask us all to read, understand and comment.