Re: allowing connections from additional hosts without a restart? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: allowing connections from additional hosts without a restart?
Date
List pgsql-general
Lonni J Friedman <netllama@gmail.com> writes:
> Is it possible to allow TCP/IP connections from additional hosts (IPs)
> without restarting postgresql?

> The issue i'm having is that i've got a postgresql-7.4.6 box that has
> a DB running on it for a j2ee based application on a separate server.
> Now i need to add an additional DB for a different server, but I can't
> afford any down time to restart postgresql for the changes in
> pg_hba.conf to take effect.

SIGHUP (a/k/a pg_ctl reload) is sufficient for editing pg_hba.conf.

If you'd not had tcpip_socket enabled to start with, you would need a
restart to turn that on, but as long as the socket is there you are
good.

            regards, tom lane