select count(*) status these days - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dennis Gearon
Subject select count(*) status these days
Date
Re: select count(*) status these days  (Greg Smith <greg@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-general
I'm about to launch an in house 'Aplpha' stage project. One of the marketing driven outputs on the page is filled by a:

SELECT
  COUNT(*)
WHERE
  date_field IS NOT NULL AND
  date_field > :todays_date;

Last I heard, this kind of query is kind of slow on Postgres in particular, (Love postgres otherwise). Is this still
true?

Is there any architectural way to speed it up? I'd actually like to run it every 2-60 seconds to update a counter on a
pagefor the marketing guy, (which for once, is me :-)

Dennis Gearon

Signature Warning
It is always a good idea to learn from your own mistakes. It is usually a better idea to learn from others’ mistakes,
soyou do not have to make them yourself. from 'http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/security/?p=4501&tag=nl.e036'

EARTH has a Right To Life,
  otherwise we all die.