Re: DESC - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: DESC
Date
List pgsql-novice
Mike Castle <dalgoda@ix.netcom.com> writes:
> If so, is "DESCRIBE" the ANSI command that should do what \d does or does
> it serve another purpose in ANSI?

The only use of DESCRIBE that I can find in the SQL92 spec is

         <describe statement> ::=
                <describe input statement>
              | <describe output statement>

         <describe input statement> ::=
              DESCRIBE INPUT <SQL statement name> <using descriptor>

         <describe output statement> ::=
              DESCRIBE [ OUTPUT ] <SQL statement name> <using descriptor>

         Obtain information about the <select list> columns or <dynamic
         parameter specification>s contained in a prepared statement.

which doesn't appear to overlap \d's functionality at all...

            regards, tom lane