Re: Reduction in WAL for UPDATEs - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Reduction in WAL for UPDATEs
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Simon Riggs" <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> It seems possible to reduce overall WAL volume by roughly 25% on common
> workloads by optimising the way UPDATE statements generate WAL.

This seems a huge amount of work to optimize *one* benchmark.  If it
weren't so narrowly focused on the properties of a particular benchmark
(mostly UPDATE, mostly a few columns in wide tuples), I'd get more
excited.  The extra time spent holding exclusive lock on the page
doesn't sound attractive either ...