Re: Table inheritance surprise - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Table inheritance surprise
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Thu, 2008-06-26 at 18:53 -0400, Bruce Momjian wrote:
>> TODO has:
>>
>> o Allow inherited tables to inherit indexes, UNIQUE constraints,
>> and primary/foreign keys

But that TODO item is about inheritance, which has approximately
zip to do with CREATE TABLE LIKE.

> INCLUDING CONSTRAINTS is non-standard so maybe we can just make
> INCLUDING CONSTRAINTS also include foreign keys.

In a green field that would probably make sense, but it'd create
a significant backward compatibility problem to do it now.
Undoubtedly there are apps depending on the current behavior of
LIKE INCLUDING CONSTRAINTS.  (If there are not, then the feature is
useless and we should take it out instead of extending it.)