Re: Looking for information about rtree index - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Looking for information about rtree index
Date
List pgsql-general
"Patrick L. Nolan" <pln@razzle.Stanford.EDU> writes:
> I'm trying to figure out how to get my own data types to use R-trees.
> The Server Programming document chapter 17 contains a partial example
> of how to do this for a B-tree index, but I feel as if I've hit a dead
> end.  It assumes some information, such as the number, used and names
> of the required access method strategies and support routines.  Is
> there somewhere I can look to find the needed information for R-trees?

AFAIK, the only source of info on this is to look at the code for the
existing R-tree-compatible data types :(

If you manage to reverse-engineer some info please feel free to
contribute a documentation update ...

BTW, have you looked at PostGIS?  Might save you some work.

            regards, tom lane