Re: BUG #10436: Can't compile 9.4 with this mingw64-w32 gcc 4.8.1, 4.8.2, 4.8.3 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: BUG #10436: Can't compile 9.4 with this mingw64-w32 gcc 4.8.1, 4.8.2, 4.8.3
Date
List pgsql-bugs
"Paragon Corporation" <lr@pcorp.us> writes:
> I changed:
> LDFLAGS="-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition -Wl,--disable-auto-import"
> Back to the old:
> LDFLAGS="-Wl,--allow-multiple-definition"
> And that fixed the configure issue with mingw64-w32 4.8.1+ and it seems to
> have compiled fine too and passed all regression tests.

Hm.  It would be pretty disappointing to have to do that, because it would
be admitting complete defeat in trying to get the various Windows build
toolchains to have consistent link behavior.  We put enough sweat into
that goal last winter that I don't really want to just walk away.

OTOH, it seems clear at this point that the Mingw people are not testing
their product with --disable-auto-import, so expecting it to work with
that switch may be foolish.

I poked around and found this bug report:
http://sourceforge.net/p/mingw/bugs/2020/
which seems related but it's not clear that it's exactly the same thing.
That's marked as fixed a few months ago, but I can't tell if the fix
has been shipped yet.

Thoughts?  Should we just take the path of least resistance, or should
we look harder for a better solution?

            regards, tom lane