Re: Allowing join removals for more join types - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Allowing join removals for more join types
Date
List pgsql-hackers
David Rowley <dgrowleyml@gmail.com> writes:
> I'm not quite there with inner joins yet. I'm still getting my head around
> just where the join quals are actually stored.

TBH I think that trying to do anything at all for inner joins is probably
a bad idea.  The cases where the optimization could succeed are so narrow
that it's unlikely to be worth adding cycles to every query to check.

The planning cost of all this is likely to be a concern anyway; but
if you can show that you don't add anything unless there are some outer
joins in the query, you can at least overcome objections about possibly
adding significant overhead to trivial queries.