Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Fri, 2008-07-25 at 19:33 +0100, Simon Riggs wrote:
> > Simon Riggs <simon@2ndquadrant.com> writes:
> > > Attached patch implements WHERE clauses for pg_dump.
> >
> > I still have serious reservations about adding such an ugly,
> > non-orthogonal wart to pg_dump.  Why is it not appropriate to just
> > do a COPY (SELECT ...) TO STDOUT when you need this?
>
> So you can dump a coherent sample database in one command, not 207.
>
> Every user of PostgreSQL wants a dev/test database. If the database is
> large it isn't practical to take a complete copy. Nor is it practical to
> hand-write a data sampling extraction program and if you do, its usually
> imperfect in many ways.
>
> Adding this feature gives a very fast capability to create sample
> databases, or incremental backups for many cases.

Not sure I buy this argument. I am all for usability and I would be the
first to shout about the general ridiculousness of pg_dump/all/restore
but in this case I think Tom is right. This feature could easily be done
in a script without harassing pg_dump.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake