Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Adding WHERE clause to pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> > Attached patch implements WHERE clauses for pg_dump.
>
> I still have serious reservations about adding such an ugly,
> non-orthogonal wart to pg_dump.  Why is it not appropriate to just
> do a COPY (SELECT ...) TO STDOUT when you need this?

So you can dump a coherent sample database in one command, not 207.

Every user of PostgreSQL wants a dev/test database. If the database is
large it isn't practical to take a complete copy. Nor is it practical to
hand-write a data sampling extraction program and if you do, its usually
imperfect in many ways.

Adding this feature gives a very fast capability to create sample
databases, or incremental backups for many cases.