Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Do we really want to migrate plproxy and citext into PG core distribution?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> Minimalism isn't its own reward.  Obviously Tom has reason to worry
> about the overall maintenance effort for the PostgreSQL code.  But we
> need to balance that against the need to add features that users want
> and will keep our community growing.

Well, minimalistic is a new compliment for me... ;-)

Every time we add code to core, the next patch just got bigger since we
must always include all aspects of the server features.

I want to *increase* the extensibility of Postgres with plugins and
APIs. When you mention what we could learn from MySQL, I would say
introduce pluggable extensibility in more places.

Solving the putting the pieces back together problem is a somewhat
easier problem than trying to maintain a whole spittoon full of (cool)
extensions in core.

Do you want Tom to
a) spend a month improving the optimizer
b) get him to review already working code so we can package things

It's a question of priorities.