Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/release.sgml rc/backend/com ... - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql/ oc/src/sgml/release.sgml rc/backend/com ...
Date
List pgsql-committers
Joe Conway <mail@joeconway.com> writes:
>> There aren't any right now so I'm
>> kind of speculating in a vacuum about what they'll want.

> But there will be as soon as I submit contrib/tablefunc

Okay, so the question is what tablefunc wants to do.  I'd guess it
wants to duplicate the set of info returned by SHOW ALL.

> I see seed and session_authorization as the only two (at least
> currently) settings marked GUC_NO_SHOW_ALL. I tried searching the
> archives, but I can't find an explanation anywhere as to why there are
> some settings we don't want to see in SHOW ALL.

I put in GUC_NO_SHOW_ALL when I was hacking on GUC a few months ago
to make it able to implement the last few SET variables that had
one-of-a-kind behavior.  One of those one-of-a-kind behaviors was that
some of them didn't show up in SHOW ALL.  I suppose this is arguably
a bug and not really behavior we want to preserve --- although SHOW SEED
will *never* return anything useful and so it's not clear why SHOW ALL
should bother to show it.

If NO_SHOW_ALL bothers you, feel free to put its removal up to a
pghackers vote.  I'm not wedded to it.

            regards, tom lane