Re: CommitDelay performance improvement - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: CommitDelay performance improvement
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> It could be tough.  Imagine the delay increasing to 3 seconds?  Seems
> there has to be an upper bound on the sleep.  The more you delay, the
> more likely you will be to find someone to fsync you.

Good point, and an excellent illustration of the fact that
self-adjusting algorithms aren't that easy to get right the first
time ;-)

> Are we waking processes up after we have fsync()'ed them?

Not at the moment.  That would be another good mechanism to investigate
for 7.2; but right now there's no infrastructure that would allow a
backend to discover which other ones were sleeping for fsync.