Re: Getting rid of pre-assignment of index names in CREATE TABLE LIKE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Getting rid of pre-assignment of index names in CREATE TABLE LIKE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Sat, Jul 14, 2012 at 4:02 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
>> I suggested that we could dodge the problem by allowing IndexStmt to
>> carry a comment to be attached to the new index, and thereby avoid
>> needing an explicit COMMENT command.  Attached is a patch that fixes it
>> that way.

> I agree with this approach.  I think it's pretty much always a bad
> idea for DDL command A to fake up a parse node of the type used by DDL
> command B.  It tends to make the code ugly and unmaintainable and
> propagates nasty abstraction violations all over the place.

Hmm, well, if that's the argument for doing this then we really need to
throw away the entire implementation of CREATE TABLE LIKE, because it's
doing that all over the place; I'm only proposing to remove one specific
instance.