Re: IN vs EXISTS - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: IN vs EXISTS
Date
List pgsql-general
On Sat, 2008-06-07 at 08:59 -0500, Adam Rich wrote:
> what's faster on one dbms my be different than another.  I've found
> that postgresql is usually slower than other databases for IN ()
> queries, but handles EXISTS and inner joins (a third way of writing
> your queries above) quite quickly.

Do you have an explanation for the slow IN performance? Do you mean
Postgres is slow with a value list or a subquery or both? Is it because
the execution of a particular plan is slow, or does some good plan not
exist in Postgres?

    Regards,
        Jeff Davis