Re: PostgreSQL derivatives - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Neil Conway
Subject Re: PostgreSQL derivatives
Date
List pgsql-advocacy
On Fri, 2008-06-06 at 18:32 -0400, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> The following commits were sponsored by Truviso:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-03/msg00520.php
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2008-05/msg00220.php
> and other minor associated cleanups.

It's also worth noting that I've contributed a few fixes for issues
that
we've run into at Truviso, for example for memory leaks that become
rather more dire when you're running queries that last for weeks at a
time. For example:

http://markmail.org/message/i4labjcqf4wfpt5t
http://markmail.org/message/odpoi5envkmamkps

The patch I committed to add support for hashing for the "numeric" data
type was also motivated by Truviso requirements:

http://markmail.org/message/lqe7fftpx5ztmz6n

More broadly, we're hoping to keep our diff against vanilla Postgres as
small as possible, and limited to our core focus (continuous queries and
stream processing). As such, we're keen to contribute bugfixes back
upstream, as well as sponsor development on upstream features that we'd
like to see added rather than trying to add them to our codebase
ourselves and then maintain them indefinitely.

-Neil