Re: Change lock requirements for adding a trigger - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: Change lock requirements for adding a trigger
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, 2008-05-29 at 19:18 -0500, Decibel! wrote:

> Is there a reason that we can't add a trigger to a table while a
> select is running? This is a serious pain when trying to setup
> londiste or slony.

This is constrained by locking.

There are a subset of DDL commands that might be able to be performed
with just an ExclusiveLock or ShareLock rather than an
AccessExclusiveLock. Nobody has studied which sub-statements this might
apply to, but its do-able since CREATE INDEX already does this.