Re: [Beginner Question]What is query jumbling? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [Beginner Question]What is query jumbling?
Date
List pgsql-general

On 7/17/23 05:23, Wen Yi wrote:
> Hi community,
> I am reading the 'Generate code for query jumbling through
> gen_node_support.pl'
> (https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/E1pMk51-000puf-55%40gemulon.postgresql.org) to understand the principle of the
postgres'snode, but I really don't know the meaning of the word 'query jumbling'.

> Can someone provide me some advice?
> Thanks in advance!

Stuff like this is usually explained somewhere in the code base, so "git
grep" is your friend. In this case it's probably good to read the
comment in src/backend/nodes/queryjumblefuncs.c which says:

 * Normalization is implemented by fingerprinting queries, selectively
 * serializing those fields of each query tree's nodes that are judged
 * to be essential to the query. This is referred to as a query jumble.

So "jumbling" is a process to generate a "normalized" query.

regards

--
Tomas Vondra
The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company