Re: MERGE Specification - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: MERGE Specification
Date
Re: MERGE Specification  (Hannu Krosing <hannu@krosing.net>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-04-21 at 16:38 -0400, A.M. wrote:

> "MERGE will not invoke Rules." Does this imply that MERGE cannot be
> used on views or that the resulting INSERTs or UPDATEs do not work on
> views?

Yes, that's right. Just like COPY. That seems fine to me because you're
likely to be doing a MERGE immediately after a COPY anyway, so the
restriction just continues.

Rules for Insert, Update and Delete are almost identical to the way
MERGE works anyway, so there's no particular loss of functionality. That
was why I co-opted the ability to DO NOTHING in a WHEN clause from the
way PostgreSQL Rules work.

I'm not taking any explicit decisions to exclude them permanently. I do
think its possible that we could support them and possibly very cheaply,
but I wouldn't make any promises initially.

--  Simon Riggs 2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com