Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1) - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Database logins taking longer and longer, showing up as "authentication" in ps(1)
Date
List pgsql-general
> * Adam Sjøgren (asjo@koldfront.dk) wrote:
>> Sometimes new database logins slow down, from usually taking <0.05s to
>> taking minutes. This is for psql as a normal user using Kerberos, for
>> psql as the postgres superuser, for the web-application logging into the
>> database, for everything.

> When in doubt, blame DNS.

The trouble with outside-the-database explanations is that it's not
clear why stopping the worker processes would make such issues go away.

I think looking into pg_stat_activity and pg_locks might be interesting,
although it's possible the delay is before the new session has made
any entries there.

Also, obtaining stack traces from a few of the stuck processes would
likely be quite informative.

            regards, tom lane