Reordering columns, will this ever be simple? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From novnov
Subject Reordering columns, will this ever be simple?
Date
Re: Reordering columns, will this ever be simple?  (Gregory Stark <stark@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-general
One of the few problems I have with postgres is that one is stuck with
columns ordered by time of creation, unless one resorts to dropping the
table and rebuilding from ddl. If you have data and a bunch of contraints,
it's not simple. It's not a critical capability either, but reordering
columns in the other databases I work with is very simple. Schemas do evolve
and I like to keep things in order, naturally.

Is there any plan to add such a capability to postgres? Is there deep seated
reason why reordering columns can't be handled without doing a root canal on
the database?

If there already is some simple way to reorder columns, please let me know.