Re: Example web access to Postgres DB - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Adam Tauno Williams
Subject Re: Example web access to Postgres DB
Date
List pgsql-performance
> > I am looking for an example of a web application (WAR) which executea a
> > Postgres actions. This aims to test the performance of Postgres in Web mode.
> > I shall be grateful if someone gives me a link where I can find a WAR file.
> I think you're going to have to be more specific.  I don't know what
> technology uses WAR files, and based on the tepid response, it doesn't
> seem like anyone else on the list does either.
> What program are you using that uses the WAR files?

WAR is a way of packaging J2EE applications for Java app servers like
Tomcat, JBoss, etc...  I have no idea what the question is looking for;
there are hundreds, if not thousands, of J2EE applications that use
PostgreSQL (OpenNMS, OpenReports, OpenBravo, JOPE,....).  And likely
100% of those connect via JDBC with entirely standard and fairly
database-agnostic code.

And I think a "performance test" from a J2EE application is just as
likely to measure the performance of the particular J2EE platform [and
configuration] then it is to tell you much about PostgreSQL performance.
For performance testing (of the JDBC driver/connection) it would be
better to connect from a simple Java application (without any of the app
server overhead) otherwise you have no idea who/what you are measuring
[unless your a J2EE guru].

--
Adam Tauno Williams, Network & Systems Administrator
Consultant - http://www.whitemiceconsulting.com