Re: Recovery will take 10 hours - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Recovery will take 10 hours
Date
List pgsql-performance
Brendan Duddridge <brendan@clickspace.com> writes:
> Oops... forgot to mention that both files that postgres said were
> missing are in fact there:

Please place the blame where it should fall: it's your archive restore
command that's telling postgres that.

> There didn't seem to be any issues with the NFS mount. Perhaps it
> briefly disconnected and came back right away.

Unstable NFS mounts are Really Bad News.  You shouldn't be expecting
to run a stable database atop such a thing.

If it's not the database but only the WAL archive that's NFS'd, it might
be possible to live with it, but you'll need to put some defenses into
your archive restore script to cope with such events.

As far as restarting goes: I think you can restart from here without
first redoing your base-backup restore, but as previously noted it'll
still read through the same WAL files it looked at before.  You won't
save much except the time to redo the base restore.

            regards, tom lane