Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning - Mailing list pgsql-jdbc

From Simon Riggs
Subject Re: JDBC, prepared queries, and partitioning
Date
List pgsql-jdbc
On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 16:06 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:

> On Wed, 13 Feb 2008, Simon Riggs wrote:
>
> > On Wed, 2008-02-13 at 15:43 -0500, Kris Jurka wrote:
> >
> >> No, in V3 all prepared statements are prepared regardless of the
> >> threshold.
> >
> > Am I reading the wrong documentation?
> > http://jdbc.postgresql.org/documentation/83/connect.html#connection-parameters
> >

> The documentation is just simplifying the complexities of named vs unnamed
> statements.  Aside from a couple of exceptions, an unnamed prepared
> statement should perform equivalently to direct execution of the literal
> query.  Describing it as semi-prepared is complicated and not particularly
> useful if there is no way to get non-prepared behavior.

OK, but AFAICS the docs relating to prepareThreshold are wrong. They
describe behaviour that doesn't happen all of the time, yet there is
nothing to indicate that.

Happy to provide a patch, if you'd like.

--
  Simon Riggs
  2ndQuadrant  http://www.2ndQuadrant.com