Re: FW: bitemporal functionality for PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: FW: bitemporal functionality for PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, 2008-02-04 at 20:50 +0000, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
> Jeff Davis wrote:
> > Also, they use "period" to mean interval, and "interval" to mean
> > duration -- which is wrong, in my opinion; interval already has a well-
> > defined mathematical meaning.
>
> Agreed, but that mistake actually originates from the SQL standard. The
> SQL INTERVAL data type is really a duration, so I guess they had to come
> up with a new term for interval in the mathematical meaning.

Fair enough. However, that is just an example of the SQL idiosyncrasies
that I was referring to.

I think that kind of thing gets in the way a lot more than it helps,
which is why I found Temporal Data and the Relational Model so
refreshing.

Regards,Jeff Davis