Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints
Date
Re: Command to prune archive at restartpoints  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
> I prefer archive_cleanup_command. We should name things after their
> principal function, not an implementation detail, IMNSHO.

Weak preference for archive_cleanup_command here.

> More importantly, we should include an example in the docs. I created
> one the other day  when this was actually bothering me a bit (see
> <http://people.planetpostgresql.org/andrew/index.php?/archives/85-Keeping-a-hot-standby-log-archive-clean.html>).
> That seemed to work ok, but maybe it's too long, and maybe people would
> prefer a shell script to perl.

Short is good.  Maybe you could remove the logging stuff from the
example.

As for the language choice, my first thought is +1 for perl over shell,
mainly because it might be directly useful to people on Windows while
shell never would be.  On the other hand, if it's possible to do a
useful one-liner in shell then let's do it that way.