Re: Should this require CASCADE? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Should this require CASCADE?
Date
Re: Should this require CASCADE?  ("Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl@familyhealth.com.au>)
List pgsql-hackers
> As far as this question, seems with no RESTRICT/CASCADE, it fails, with
> RESTRICT it drops the trigger, and with CASCADE it drops the referencing
> table.  Is that accurate?

Not at all.  CASCADE would drop the foreign key constraint (including
the triggers that implement it), but not the other table.  In my mind
the issue is whether RESTRICT mode should do the same, or report an
error.

I'm not eager to accept the idea that DROP-without-either-option should
behave in some intermediate fashion.  I want it to be the same as
RESTRICT.