File API cleanup - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Eisentraut
Subject File API cleanup
Date
Re: File API cleanup  (Peter Eisentraut <peter.eisentraut@enterprisedb.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Here are a couple of patches that clean up the internal File API and
related things a bit:

0001-Update-types-in-File-API.patch

     Make the argument types of the File API match stdio better:

     - Change the data buffer to void *, from char *.
     - Change FileWrite() data buffer to const on top of that.
     - Change amounts to size_t, from int.

     In passing, change the FilePrefetch() amount argument from int to
     off_t, to match the underlying posix_fadvise().

0002-Remove-unnecessary-casts.patch

     Some code carefully cast all data buffer arguments for
     BufFileWrite() and BufFileRead() to void *, even though the
     arguments are already void * (and AFAICT were never anything else).
     Remove this unnecessary clutter.

(I had initially thought these casts were related to the first patch,
but as I said the BufFile API never used char * arguments, so this
turned out to be unrelated, but still weird.)
Attachment