Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: two slab-like memory allocators - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tomas Vondra
Subject Re: [HACKERS] PATCH: two slab-like memory allocators
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 03/01/2017 05:18 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On 2017-02-27 23:44:20 -0800, Andres Freund wrote:
>>> *preliminary* patch attached. This needs a good bit of polishing
>>> (primarily comment work, verifying that valgrind works), but I'm too
>>> tired now.
>>>
>>> I'm not quite sure how to deal with mmgr/README - it's written as kind
>>> of a historical document, and the "Mechanisms to Allow Multiple Types of
>>> Contexts" is already quite out of date.  I think it'd be good to rip out
>>> all the historical references and just describe the current state, but
>>> I'm not really enthusiastic about tackling that :/
>>
>> While still not enthusiastic, I took a stab at doing so.  While still
>> not perfect, I do think this is an improvement.
>>
>> Is anybody uncomfortable going away from the current historical account
>> style?
>
> I've pushed these now. I'm not claiming that the README revision is
> perfect, but we can incremently improve it further...

Thanks. I went through the README and it definitely looks better now.

I've noticed two minor typos:

1) That is solved this by creating ...   - extra "this"

2) Given this, routines like pfree their corresponding context ...   - missing "find" or "determine"

I also see you've explicitly mentioned the callbacks were added in 9.5.
Doesn't that somewhat reintroduce the historical account?

regards