Re: Using same database from XP and Linux in notebook - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Steve Atkins
Subject Re: Using same database from XP and Linux in notebook
Date
List pgsql-general
On Mar 4, 2006, at 7:51 AM, Andrus Moor wrote:

> I have notebook which can be booted into Windows XP/NTFS and into
> Linux.
> Notebook is not connected to any network. There are separate IDE
> partitions
> for both OS.
>
> I want same Postgres 8.1 database to be available in both modes.
>
> I think I must put Postgres database cluster into a NTFS partition
> which can
> be written from Postgres running on Linux or into Linux partition
> which can
> be written from Postgres running in XP.
>
> Any idea how to implement dual OS database ? Is there a ready to
> install
> Linux distro which supports this ?

I've done this in the past (for windows client development) by booting
linux in a vmware partition and running the database there, then
connecting
to it from windows. It also avoids the whole rebooting issue altogether.

Given a decent X server running natively on Windows (the cygwin X
server is workable, if not great) it makes for a good blended
development
environment.

Cheers,
   Steve